The World Innovation Summit for Health (WISH) is taking place this year from 4-6 October 2022 and will be focusing on the topic of global health and sustainability under the title “Healing the Future”.
WISH and Earthna are collaborating on an art competition with plastics to be presented at WISH 2022, . The purpose of competition is to highlight and raise awareness on the role of plastics in the historical and dichotomous development and deterioration of health worldwide. The artistic creations should be engaging, impactful and relevant to WISH 2022.
Art and culture will always be integral parts of sustainable development. They capture the attention of people and solidify the reality and realization that climate change and health are connected to us all and that we are part of the solution. We hope that this competition will be able to touch the hearts and minds of the community and be a resounding success.
Concept and Scope
The competition will focus on the topic of Health in relation to plastics.
The data used in the making of the artwork content should be based on actual verified facts and clearly included in the submission form. If the content is based on self-expression and opinion, then that also needs to be evident and clearly stated in the submission form.
Physically, the medium of the artwork will be flexible, but we do ask that the contributors abide by the guidelines set out below.
Materials and Content to be used:
- Shall be reused and/or Recycled: The art shall onlybe comprised of reused/and or recycled plastic material for the purpose of this competition. No new plastic is to be used for this competition.
- Shall be non-toxic (includes any paints used): not poisonous or not containing poisonous substances. Any paint used shall be labelled non-VOC variety to avoid harmful fumes. It is preferred to avoid paint beyond what is already available on the reused or recycled material originally.
- Shall have plastics as its main topic and component
- Shall not infringe on any rights: Videos and Digital art must not contain advertisements (No logos or brands) or infringe on any third-party rights.
- Shall not infringe on any privacy rights: Any person appearing in the digital art or must sign the attached “Photo waiver Form” and submit it with the video. Failure to do so would result in immediate disqualification
- All submissions that have not won:
- Cannot be disposed of
- Can be handed to the precious plastics container in Ceremonial Court in Education City to be able to liaise with facilities management for recycling.
- Competitors can request to keep their submissions on the condition that the creation will be kept and not disposed of in an unsustainable manner (i.e. thrown away and not recycled or reused)
- The event organizers will be supporting the winner in the construction of their artwork.
Size of Display
- Shall not exceed 200 cm by 200 cm floor space
- Shall not be smaller than 20 cm by 20 cm floor space
- Digital Art: will be limited to a single 2-minute display in Arabic (with English Subtitles) or English (with Arabic subtitles) on a screen not exceeding the display criteria (min 20 cm x 20 cm and max 300 cm x 300 cm)
Applicants can be:
- Individuals submitting their proposals
- Teams submitting their proposals
Judging Criteria will be based on the following:
- Art Value
- Awareness regarding health and sustainability
- Content & Concept uniqueness
- Adherence to the competition Criteria
- Awareness & Education
CALL FOR CONCEPT NOTES
To be sent out on May 20th, 2022
CONCEPT NOTE FORMS FROM APPLICANTS
Applicants to submit their forms on June 15th, 2022. (See annex 1 for form)
Ten applications to be shortlisted for the competition June 30th , 2022
INITIAL DESIGN CONCEPT
Sketch or visual to be submitted on July 30th, 2022
FEEDBACK ON INITIAL DESIGN CONCEPT
To be sent to 3 finalists on August 7th, 2022
The decision and announcement of the winner, second and third place will be made on August 17th ,2022
Runner ups conceptual designs to be ready for display at Wish Summit and Education City by September 21st, 2022
1st place winner to have finalise and presented the installation at the WISH Summit location by October 1st , 2022.
WISH 2022 will take place on 4-6 October 2022.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed entries will:
- Have the 1st place artwork displayed at the WISH Summit and the 2nd and 3rd place concept designs displayed in the Wish Summit and Education City
- Receive PR acknowledgement during the Summit through Earthna, Qatar Foundation and WISH social media outlets.
- Receive a placement certificate acknowledging their contribution to the summit
Concept Note Form For Earthna Plastics Competition at WISH
The concept note should be sent to [email protected] and include “Earthna Plastics Art Competition for WISH Summit” in the Subject of the e-mail.
|Concept note for WISH Summit Artistic Proposal|
|Name of applicant(s):|
|Contact details (E-mail and Tel.):|
|What type of art will you be making?
(Campaign, Physical Display/Sculpture, Story-telling or Digital Art)
|Describe the concept of your creation (up to 300 words; Length, technic, format, what materials will be included to create the art)|
For information or queries about the competition please contact:
Nihal M Al-Saleh
Earthna – Center for a Sustainable Future
Tel +974 44542626